I'm worried.
The way that technology's snuffing out our emotional human contact with text messaging, instant messaging, and e mail. We've gone from only having hand-delivered, heart-felt, hand-written letters to communicate with someone far away, to text messages mindlessly 'tapped' up while driving. The true emotion's gone, and so is the meaning.
SO many concerns stem from this: how we're raising our children to live their lives so technology-based, which could directly translate into how they raise their children. Modern-day Moms and Dads are pursuing full-time careers, they're busier and have less time than parents used to so they're using the tv to baby-sit their children, instead of finding games and activities to do WITH the kid. I worry that this is teaching kids to never know how to communicate on a more human, personal level. If I had it my way I'd take away TV's, computers, and cell phones as long as I could for each kid while they're growing up and so impressionable. Cell phones are needed for safety and I understand that. I got a cell phone when I was seventeen, when I started driving on my own. I had limited internet use at home - it was mostly available to me for school resources (studying, looking up information about school subjects, and the odd E-Mail here and there to let the grandparents know how my report card looked). I'm not saying that this is how everyone should be brought up, I just really appreciate that this was how I was raised.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the development of technology as it really can be a great thing for our future and it's part of natural, human progression. Humans are inquisitive and smart and always want more, and that's where the development stems from. We can't avoid or stop it. But in each of our lives, we can make decisions to 'kick it old school' and try to pick up the phone more often and actually talk to the person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment